Wednesday, June 4, 2014

plaid vs. tartan




I personally get confused between the two. Especially since tartan has been a buzz word as of late. 

Apparently, tartan has woven lines that create colorblocks that repeat in an even pattern.
However,  plaid can have overlapping geometric squares or straight vertical and horizontal lines that intersect. 
Two absolutely different things. 

I have even heard a former employer of mine, who is South African, refer to similar as buffalo check. Buffalo check seams to be a bit more casual of a term, having a wider pattern size equal widths in both direction and usually in red (sometimes others) and black. 
Gingham is also equal widths apart forming perfect squares, but typically (not always) much smaller and usually in red or blue variations paired with white. 

Or something like that. Now is that skirt above, plaid, tartan or buffalo check? I believe it is :
tartan-check-plaid-buffalo. maybe. 

 The 90's kid in me wants to always say plaid.  And is it offensive to wear two at the same time? 
* When I say plaid, I don't mean flannel. flannel is a type of fabric, not a print. 
Ok, I am done. 
Other examples of confusion below : 




vintage pinafore maxi : here / vintage fringe jacket : here 



No comments:

Post a Comment